Howto: Run Skype 2.0 on Imate SP5
Following my popular article, I downloaded and made it work with Skype 2.0 (released on Valentine’s Day).
This entry can be used in almost all latest Windows Mobile 5 Smartphones.
The installation cabs from Skype will not install on the device directly, complaining it is not compatible.
I fired up the MagicCab, a cab extraction utility by Inventop, to extract the files and registry. There is two groups, one goes under \Storage Card\Program Files\Skype, the other goes to \Windows. I then created a .reg file to import with the details. The full setup steps are:
1. Copy the files to proper locations. The file can be downloaded at here
Extract the files, copy them to your device using Active Sync’s file explorer. The main difference from v1, SkypeSetup.dll goes to \Windows, and if you have installed v1 before, delete \Storage Card\Program Files\Skype
2. You will need a registry editor, PHM Registry Editor or I used Resco Explorer’s Registry addon and imported the .reg file (go to the folder you copied the reg file via File Explorer or Resco Explorer 2003, click to execute and import it.
3. Copy the Skype.lnk file under \Windows\Start Menu
4. Reboot the device.
5. Run the Skype using the link. After the long license agreement page, agree and continue.
6. This step, I haven’t done during an upgrade from v1 to v2, as my login info was already saved.
If you are doing a fresh install, it will say Tap here to sign in, as you all know there is no touch screen on the smartphone. We’ll need the help of either Windows Mobile Developer Power Toys or Pocket Controller Pro
I used Pocket Controller. MS Developer Power Toys comes with ActiveSync Remote Display, which can be used to access the Smartphone via your PC. Whichever you use (Soti provides a trial version as well), you can click on the PC to the Tap here part and voila, it will pop up your account login details. Once you enter them, it will save them, and you won’t need to worry about it. Then it will connect and there you have a working version of Skype.
Now time to have fun with your Skype